Thursday, March 24, 2016

Shake That Tree A Little Harder

Charles Darwin
You may remember, if you have been following this blog for that long, that in an unidentified (because I can’t find it) post I alluded to that great Darwinian event when our ancestors split the sheets with our non-homo sapiens forbearers and climbed out of the arboreal-sphere (I love to make up new words) and began the arduous journey to the top of the food chain.  If you do, great.  If you don’t, good luck trying to find it because I can’t.  But I digress.

For a long time, but to no avail, I have been expounding the theory that man (you know, us) did not generate from a single common ancestor.  I offer proof: Have you been to the zoo?  Did you visit the primate exhibits?  Did it dawn on you (as it did me) that aside from age related differences in size and hair color that all the members of a single species looked pretty much the same?  Oh sure, there are some distinguishing features if you care to spend the time and effort to discover them.  But not to the extent that we humans seem to offer.  Think about it.  When was the last time you attended a social function populated mostly by persons unknown to you?  The second thing you did was start a mental catalogue of those around you based on differences in physical attractiveness.  The very first thing you did was head to the bar to start the process of peeling back the social inhibitions.  Am I right?

Oh you may challenge my hypothesis by returning, “Dale, all species engage it a mating selection criteria process.”  And they do: Chiefly, if the female is in season, the alpha male will render her the lucky girl of the day.   But I digress.  To the observant, people have wide and varied physical characteristics, so varied that it seems we are not of one species, but several.  After years of being viewed askance when I offer my theory, sometimes shunned, I now have some support for my intellectual meanderings.  On March 18, 2016 (hot off the presses, boys), William Dunham of Reuters News Service writes:

Our species, Homo sapiens, has a more adventurous sexual history than previously realized, and all that bed hopping long ago has left an indelible mark on the human genome.

Scientists said on Friday an analysis of genetic information on 1,500 people from locations around the world indicated at least four interbreeding episodes tens of thousands of years ago, three with our closes cousins the Neanderthals and one with the mysterious extinct human species known as Denisovans.

Neanderthal
I will not go into the depth of the article, but the crux is that about 100,000 years ago, our supposed ancestors were playing fast and loose with the old DNA swap with at least three other species that now are part of our genetic makeup; Neanderthal, Denisovans and one yet unidentified.  What I find interesting is that neither Neanderthals or Denisovans genetic identifiers occur in African peoples.  That’s because neither species ever made a presence there.  So then, where did they come from?  Well, Denisovans discovered in just the past decade are known from only a pinky finger bone and two teeth from a northern Siberian cave.  You think about the implications for Afro-centrism.


It seems to me there are some big holes in the anthropological record… and I’m just the armchair explorer to guess what they might reveal until some bona fide scientist proves me wrong.  Next week, the future of sex, I hope.  More about that later. 


















1 comment:

  1. So what you are saying is, that our ancestor Homo sapien probably found some fermented fruit that peeled away his inhibitions and he set a pretty low bar for his nightly companion?

    Bartender, another round here… on my buddy Dale!

    ReplyDelete