Thursday, October 9, 2014

Pissy Mood!

“Why am I in a pissy mood?” you ask.  Because I haven’t shaved since September 7th and strangers on the street are telling me I missed a spot when attending to my morning titivation!

It’s not the opinion of strangers that authors my angst.  It’s the humiliating truth that at sixty years of age, I fall behind most twenty-year olds in the production of whiskers.  My main assertion is that a mane should befit a man’s mien.  (Hah!  Three homonyms in one sentence:  Let’s see you top that, Brenda Moguez; if that is your real name.)

Reason dictates that I am merely a victim of the genetic dice-roll.  I should consider myself lucky I avoided the fate of my enate uncles who all sported the ever-popular bozo.  No, no comb over for me; short and fuzzy every time.  But I digress.

The true genesis of my unshaven state is a latent realization that at my advanced age, I am not bound to subscribe to societal dictates.  If I choose not to shave and the consequent patchwork stubble that resides on my cheeks and chin offends the members of the population at large, so be it.  There is only one reason to shave and that is concern for ones level of attractiveness.   The days of submission to the desires of the community at large are ended.  I feel no further impulse to please the masses with my previously handsome countenance and alluring profile.  I need be slave to only one emotional driver, “I hate to shave!”

I have hated to shave from my very first bloodletting experience.  (See my blog post “Suave and Debonair” from March 7th, 2013… yes, I’ve been at this for that long.) There are probably only two readers out there who have seen me without a mustache, but a mustache is no beard (See the blog post “The Zen of Mustachios” from July 3rd, 2013.)  A mustache is a statement.  Scraggly whiskers are a surrender. Or, are they a victory?

I can hear the synapses of the female reading audience closing as I type, “Men have it so easy, they should try shaving their legs!”  Well ladies, let me assure you, I have shaved my legs.  No, there was no gender identity crisis involved.  As a high-school football player with bad knees (that should have been an omen, but young equals stupid) I had to shave my legs so the training staff could apply joint bracing tape.  And I aver that shaving ones legs is far easier, less painful and less bloody that shaving ones face.  This is particularly true when you are young and your skin is as tight as a drum.  But I digress.  

There, you have it.  In a perfectly self-serving tack, I have opted to please my own sense of need.  I shall place my individual interests above that of the community at large.  Thank you John Galt!  (Yes, Brenda, after twenty-some years I finally followed your advice and read the liturgy of objectivism… thank you.  (For those of you wondering where you got off the train, Google “John Galt” and all will be clear.)

And anyway, my barber calls it a beard… says she likes it… trims it for free.

Next week, I will announce the winner of the “Name Dale’s Beard” contest; so vote early and often.



No comments:

Post a Comment