Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Christmas Special Best-ees

Last year about this time I wrote a piece on the best Christmas films from the Golden Age of Hollywood (Golden Holiday Bestees Dec. 4, 2014).  And when I say best, I of course mean my favorite.  All objective analysis of these choices was avoided with the utmost diligence.

This year, I will grace your holiday season with my opinion as regards the best animated television specials of Christmas.  I have set a self-imposed limit of five programs, quite arbitrarily.  If your favorite did not warrant inclusion on my list, it is either because your taste is horrible or you are so much younger than I that our experiences do not overlap.  If you don’t care for my choices, shut up and start your own blog.  Now, in the true spirit of the season, the best animated television programs of the Christmas Holiday:

No. 5 – A Charlie Brown Christmas (first aired Dec. 9, 1965 – CBS) Directed by Bill Melendez.  You are Probably asking, “How can a beloved icon like A Charlie Brown Christmas rank so low?”  Because the main vehicle for humor in this timeless classic is pathos (look it up!).  The whole plot revolves around a kid who is sad because nobody can tell him the true meaning of Christmas.  It is all introspective crap!  Please understand me.  I grew up on Charles M. Schultz’ comic strip.  It is probably the best newspaper comic ever.  If you want to laugh yourself silly get hold of one of the retrospective volumes that contain the strips from the first ten years.  The kids lived in a kid’s universe, dealing with the challenges of understanding their world.  Then all of a sudden (maybe it was part of the Viet Nam syndrome) about this time, Schultz turned philosophic and the beagle (Snoopy) became the only funny character.  Still, you (or at least, I) cannot watch this, or even hear the ubiquitous theme music, without getting a bit nostalgic for those years between Santa Claus and gift certificates.

No. 4 – Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (first aired Dec. 6, 1964 – NBC) A stop-motion animation (if you don’t know what that means, think Gumby) special produced by Rankin-Bass, this tale of potential unrecognized is the longest running Christmas special of all time, marking fifty years in 2014.  We all know the song, but who among us can name (without help) the eight tiny reindeer whose careers were minimized by the upstart with the electric nose?  What really sets this story apart from most song-based cartoons is the introduction of characters unique to the teleplay: Hermey the elf who wants to trade in his toy-making tools for a dentist’s drill; Yukon Cornelius, a prospector who tutors Rudolph on the value of self-esteem; and the Abominable Snow Monster of the North who adds absolutely nothing to the fabric of the story but elicits laughs from children and me.  I, like most children of blue collar parents, was forced to imagine Rudolph’s nose of red, as we were all still sucking at the teat of the black & white Philco.  Remember, “Bumbles bounce!”

No. 3 – Mister Magoo’s Christmas Carol (first aired Dec. 18, 1962 – NBC) This was the first animated holiday special specifically produced for television.  It is a musical version of the Charles Dickens’ Christmas tale of Ebenezer Scrooge.  Yeah, we all know the story now (there must be some reason so many versions of this parable have been produced, like greatness) but for my generation, this was our introduction to Victorian Era literature.  And in my case it worked… caught like a fish on a hook. I will forgo this opportunity to bore you with my opinions of nineteenth century literature. What made it work for us baby-boomer tykes, of course, was the talent of Mr. Jim Backus, voice of Mr. Magoo.  Add to that easily memorized song lyrics like, “La, la… la, la, la, la, laah!” and “Ringle, ringle, coins when they jingle make such a lovely noise!” …well, it was destined to be a classic.  The downside was the poor production quality resultant of the cost of animation.  But for its role in raising our cultural I.Q., it rates a high position on my list.

No. 2 – How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (first aired Dec. 18, 1966 – CBS) Mix authorship by Dr. Seuss, direction by Chuck Jones (Warner Bros. animation) and narration (plus the voice of the Grinch) by Boris Karloff; how can you lose?  Well, seems you can’t.  This gem from the days of hand-drawn animation has every element of a classic.  I will not labor your emotions by repeating the plot here, ‘cause everybody knows it from the top of Mt. Crumpit to the streets of Whoville.  The best part is the Grinch’s sleigh ride with his dog Max disguised as a reindeer; I still nearly bust a gut laughing and I’ve been watching this thing since I was twelve years old.  Now, every one, with your best voce di basso, “You’re a mean one, Mr. Grinch…”


Wallace and Gromit
No. 1 – Intentionally Left Blank  I know what you’re thinking, “But Dale, I’ve never heard of that one before.”  That’s because I’m reserving this space for something yet to come: A Wallace and Gromit Christmas Special.  It seems so obvious that I can’t believe nobody has ever thought of it.  “Who are Wallace and Gromit?” you ask.  They are the creation of one Nick Park, aka Aardman Animations.  Claymation (stop-motion animation) characters; a man (Wallace) and his uber-intelligent dog (Gromit).  I was first introduced to them via the Spike and Mike Animated Film Festival that used to play at the La Jolla Museum of Modern Art.  The finale film was The Wrong Trousers; (released Dec. 26, 1993).  Despite the proximity to the great holiday, it is not a Christmas story.  Nor are the other three shorts and one feature length offering.  These are commercially available on DVD if you haven’t seen them.  I feel the feature length Curse of the Were-Rabbit stalled as is often the case when attempting to stretch short-subject material too far; one gets too much of a good thing.  Editorializing aside, a Christmas themed story would be the perfect platform for the antics of Wallace and Gromit… in the meantime, make sure you see their other hilarious adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment