Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Tout Suite

I am a car guy.  I believe we established that in A Short (very) Story back in May of 2014. If you haven’t read it or don’t remember, I suggest you give it a look see.  It lays the foundation for much of my life. 

I do appreciate the finer points of car design.  But my passion is for driving, not wrench turning.  And thus, my focus has always been improving my skills as a pilot.  A motor vehicle is an instrument.  Van Cliburn doesn’t tune pianos, he pounds on the keys.  And as is the case in most any passionate pursuit, I have been known to push the limits right up to or slightly beyond the edge of the performance envelope.

Jamacha Road
It was a Friday night; more likely very early Saturday morning.  I was headed southbound on Jamacha Road (pronounced ha-maa-shaw: CA state highway 54) out of El Cajon en route my parents’ home where I still lived.  Those of you familiar with the area today would not recognize it way back then.  Today, it is a five-lane, curbed, well-lighted boulevard comprised of both residential and commercial zones.  In 1974, it was a two lane country road with no night lighting.  There were no signals or stop signs from the city limits of El Cajon to the junction with State Hwy 94: It was about three miles of near-straight blacktop.

1972 Nova
I was driving a 1972 Chevy Nova powered by a stock 350 CI V-8 engine.  I was feeling a little squirrely and may have been ever so slightly under the influence of a liquid intoxicant.  Good judgment has never been my strong suit and as events would betray, my suit was at the cleaners on this night anyway.

The road was clear of all traffic so I leaned into the accelerator a bit.  Eighty miles-per-hour, I seem to recall.  Just south of Hillsdale Road, the road grade begins a gentle incline.  As it passes the entry to the old quarry (no longer there) the highway jogs just a few degrees left at the same time it reaches the apex of the grade and starts downhill.  This is where I learned my first practical lesson regarding traction and the unloading of one’s suspension.

When a spring suspended vehicle is climbing a grade at speed, it is building energy in an up direction.  As the car reaches the apex and transitions to a down direction, the inertia of the suspended weight continues upward for a very brief period of time unloading the suspension, resulting in a reduction of traction.  Normally, you only notice this if there is enough suspension travel to result in that floating feeling one gets while riding a roller coaster:  Negative Gs as it were.  However, if this reduction of traction coincides with the need to maneuver, let’s say for a curve in the road, the effect can be more serious.

So there I was, still travelling southbound along Jamacha Road, while at the same time my car was spinning on its own axis.  I was unnaturally calm as I witnessed the event; it was too bad that this was happening in the dark, as I would expect the passing view was somewhat exhilarating.  My life did not flash before my eyes as is suggested in cartoons.  My thoughts were turned more to the depth of embarrassment my parents would endure over the death of their only child in such a ridiculous fashion.

…be sure to tune in next week to learn Dale’s fate.  Did he die in a fiery crash? 


No comments:

Post a Comment