Thursday, May 16, 2013

Why Men Dance


“Do you wanna dance?” A question guaranteed to strike fear in the heart of any red-blooded, American male.
The other day I was having a conversation with a female friend of mine and the conversation turned to leisure time activities.  She mentioned that she often enjoyed going dancing with her girl friends. We agreed that women do, as a general rule, like to dance and are less than particular with whom. They will dance with men, acquaintances or strangers, women, groups of people or by themselves. That is because women dance for the sake of dance, no other motivation is needed.
You can dance, every dance
With the guy who gave you the eye
Let him hold you tight.
You can dance, every dance
With the man who held your hand
In the pale moonlight
But don’t forget who’s takin’ you home
And in whose arms you’re gonna be.
So darling, save the last dance for me! 

Men, conversely, hate to dance. They instinctively know how foolish they look trying to move in rhythm to music for which they have no affinity.  Well, this applies to straight men anyway.  Gay men dance (not that there’s anything wrong with that) to the beat of a different drummer which is apparently out of the auditory range of the straight guy. None the less, straight men dance.  Why would this be?
Oh I know, that the music’s fine
Like sparkling wine
Go and have your fun.
Laugh and sing
But while we’re apart
Don’t give your heart to anyone.
Cause don’t forget who’s takin’ you home
And in whose arms you’re gonna be.
So darling, save the last dance for me! 

My friend agreed, when pressed for an explanation as to why men willingly, even eagerly engage in an activity they find so inherently repugnant: Men dance to get women (she is so delicate in her use of language; you or I would have made reference of the mechanics of avian reproduction).  And thus we have defined the underlying motivation for rhythmic gesticulation among the males of the species.

Baby don’t you know I love you so?
Can’t you feel it when we touch?
I will never, never let you go.
I love you oh so much!

 “So what,” you ask, “of cultures where men readily embrace the rhythm and dance, dance, dance?”  I offer you these explanations:
In aboriginal cultures, dance ritual is closely tied to nature based religious ceremony.  And what is the purpose?  To ensure fertility!
Slavic and Mediterranean men participate in traditional group dancing. Why? Their liquor is not strong enough to dull their senses to the extent needed to perceive their women as attractive.
Scots, sporting the traditional kilt in cooler northern hills, need to get the blood flowing before retiring to the bridal chamber.
Pacific Islanders?  Okay, you might have me here.  Maybe there are mosquitoes in the grass skirts! But mosquitoes can’t mate unless gorged on blood.
From the time a young man first slips off his Converse All-Stars in the Junior High gym to the day he breaks his hip at his grand-niece’s wedding, it’s all about the mating ritual.

You can dance, go carry on
‘Til the night is gone
And it’s time to go.
If he asks, “If you’re all alone,
Can he walk you home?”
You must tell him no.
‘Cause don’t forget who’s takin’ you home
And in whose arms you’re gonna be.
So darling, save the last dance for me!
Mmmm-mmm-mmm!
Save the last dance for me. 

Addendum
The following e-mail message was issued to members of my blog notification list on the occasion of my 1,000th page read, occurring May 13th.  If you wish to be added to the notification list, send me an e-mail ( dale.holbrook@sbcglobal.net -or- daleholbrookoutwest@gmail.com ).

Mon, May 13, 2013 5:16:53 PM

Yes! Yes! Yes... er, no...

From:
Dale Holbrook <dale.holbrook@sbcglobal.net>
View Contact
To:



...you are not being treated to an extra post this week. I just wanted to share (hmm, never occurred to me that you might not be interested) that I experienced my 1,000th page read this afternoon (5/13/13) at 4:30 PDT. That's 2130 Zulu (? if I did the math right) for you mil heads out there.
Some interesting facts:
There have been sixteen posts in total. The most hits went to the first real story, "The Great Potato Excursion" (2/2/13) with fifty-three followed closely by "...and Taxes" (4/11/13) with fifty; which had nothing to do with taxes but quite by coincidence was posted four days before our national filing date. I wonder if I just happened to pick up some hits by people using a crappy search engine who were desperate for last minute advice... oh, well!
The ignominious distinction of fewest hits is shared by "Leap Day" (4/4/13) and "A Sticky Test" (4/18/13) with 12 each; two of my favorites.
Although 788 hits have occurred in the USA, I have a truly international audience, including but not limited to:
Germany (friends of Nicky)
Mexico (friends of Chris)
New Zealand (friends of Frank)
Russia
Latvia
Romania (communist friends of Brenda?) 

I want to thank all of you for indulging my ego-trip but specifically; Nick for helping me navigate the roiling waters of blog-site opportunities; Brenda for recognizing that I am a writer, not a blogger; and Tinkerbelle for pushing me over the inertia hump to get this thing started.
No, I am not taking the week off to celebrate; I am in the midst of a brain fever readying this week's submission... stand by! 

1 comment: